11/22/2004

Goodbye Lou

It's official. Holtz retires after 33 seasons as college coach Holtz retires Oh but you will be missed. Some more Lou Holtz Quotes: "I never learn anything talking. I only learn things when I ask questions."-- Lou Holtz "Everybody is looking for instant success, but it doesn't work that way. You build a successful life one day at a time." -- Lou Holtz "If you are bored with life, if you don't get up every morning with a burning desire to do things - you don't have enough goals." -- Lou Holtz "You live up - or down - to your expectations." -- Lou Holtz "Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it." -- Lou Holtz "Without self-discipline, success is impossible, period." Lou Holtz "It's not my job to motivate players. They bring extraordinary motivation to our program. It's my job not to de-motivate them." -- Lou Holtz And more from Lou Holtz: Frank Leahy was here [Notre Dame] for three years and went to war. I think sometimes that would be a welcome relief to get away from the pressures. In the successful organization, no detail is too small to escape close attention. I have a lifetime contract. That means I can't be fired during the third quarter if we're ahead and moving the ball. We have a lot of success with a dumb person calling plays. I'm hesitant to have a smart one call them. [Explaining why he, rather than the quarterback, called his team's plays] I don't mind starting the season with a bunch of unknowns. I just don't like finishing a season with a bunch of them. There isn't anything wrong with winning ugly. As a matter of fact, there isn't anything wrong with being ugly - as long as you're successful. Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it. I think everyone should experience defeat at least once during their career. You learn a lot from it. The problem with having a sense of humor is often that people you use it on aren't in a very good mood.

Blog Archive