12/15/2004

Excuses

I can't do this because... I did this because... My life sucks because.... I can't change because... We've all heard them... Heck most have probably said one or more of those phrases at one time or another. I used to be the QUEEN of making excuses for myself. I don't know if it is only a part of my anxiety disorder or just being human as well but I can make an excuse NOT to do something faster then you can blink and actually believe it myself. I still do it... I catch myself. Doing this Flylady.net thing has helped me see that in my life. Yes I realize flylady is mostly cleaning and organizing your house but hey whose inner self can't use a bit of either? I was stuck in a bad marriage... But I couldn't leave because.... He started getting physically abusive... But I couldn't leave because... I finally obviously got out. I was in a relationship with an alcoholic... I couldn't leave because.... My life fell apart... I couldn't do anything to fix it because... All those things above have worked themselves through. The point I make now is I could have remedied these problems quicker and easier and saved ALOT of grief on all parts by acting in the first place. Instead of making excuses sometimes you have to swallow that fear and JUST ACT. You and only you have the power to change that part of yourself and your life that gives you grief. If you are in a bad situation then do something to change your situation. What? You can't because...? I've heard it and said it myself.... I'm not saying you can easily solve all problems but for every problem there is a solution... My Grandma you'd to always tell me "It'll all work out. It may not work out the way you wanted it to but it will work out." Life doesn't always give us what we want. Usually God knows better than us as far as how things go. That doesn't mean we sit back and wait for something good to happen... We have to make that happen in our lives ourselves. Yes it is hard to start over from a bad relationship with no job or money or bad health or pregnant or no place to live or whathaveyou but there are always resources out there to help. Point is you don't like how your life is then you need to change it. DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT!!!!! Don't just sit around and think about how bad your life is and how you can't do anything about it. We are our worst enemies. I can defeat myself before ever attempting anything. I am working hard to get out of that habit. Fortunately for me I have David and am at a happy stable position in my life. David supports me in my efforts to make myself a better person by encouraging me and believing in me. I realize not everyone has someone in their lives like my David but there are places online where people can talk and share experiences and help one another with encouragement. I will be willing to talk with anyone who needs someone to talk to just leave me a message in the comment section. There is also Pastor Rick's blog where you can go for inspiration. There are a ton of messageboards webgroups etc that you can find people in similar situations... Sometimes it helps knowing you are not alone. Just remember that only you can change your life, no one will do it for you. Good Luck.

Blog Archive